Spring Spotlight: The Tribal Beat
Designers trekked and traveled to bring us back this rich trend that held a spell over us. Mining cultures as far flung as Indonesia, Africa or even Cubist painter’s renditions of primitif motifs, we saw a jungle of prints (from zebra and ocelot to the lush vegetation itself); strong, warrior-goddess shapes; materials looking to nature and colors that spoke to earth’s spices.
Those who followed the rhythm of this thumping jungle drum included Donna Karan, Christopher Bailey for Burberry Prorsum, Michael Kors, Proenza Schouler and Giambattista Valli. Play it subtle with animale or python accessories and earthy colors (think mud, sand, cumin, turmeric & paprika) or follow the Beat with wilder prints, basket weaves, ikat and raffia.
Deep in the Beat:
1. BURBERRY PRORSUM Beaded Single-Breasted Trenchcoat, 212 872 8747
2. ALEXANDER MCQUEEN Platform Horn-Heel Cage Sandal, 212 872 8947
3. MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA Sequined Tapestry Smock, 212 872 8747
1. PROENZA SCHOULER Proenza Schouler Sleeveless Patchwork Dress, 212 872 8747
2. CHARLOTTE OLYMPIA Leopard Print Platform Pump, 212 872 8947
3. GIAMBATTISTA VALLI Zebra Print Dress, 212 872 2863