Designer Focus: Altuzarra
Every season we’re struck with a signature look (McQueen’s Atlantis, Dries Van Noten retro cool girl vibe, Prada’s Bananas, MiuMiu’s kitties, Givenchy’s digitized graphics, the list goes on…) and each time we see one of these collections, we encourage collecting a single piece — like art. For Spring, this may fall within Joseph Altuzarra’s jungle of prints. With seven seasons under his belt, Joseph Altuzarra (a veteran of Proenza Schouler, Marc Jacobs and Givenchy) made a name for himself by elevating the classic anorak to cool girl status, and this season the Swarthmore graduate took us on an exotic trip rife with flowers, toucans, palms and myriad birds of paradise.
Relatively new to our Third Floor and BG.com (he arrived late this summer), Altuzarra’s Spring Collection is a thumping, pumping way to blend Spring’s vibrantly printed & colored trends. A bit like taking a midday trip to the tropics, Altuzarra gave these bold prints a laid-back, urban attitude with sportier silhouettes, body-conscious shapes (with the help from materials like neoprene, mesh and perforated leather) and utilitarian influence; his anorak was tweaked for spring with translucent white organza that hangs perfectly from the shoulders. For those unaccustomed to wearing the wild landscape coloring his pants, dresses, skirts & blazers, Altuzarra’s modernist palette of blocked black & white will hold appeal — particularly those pieces with a more ladylike silhouette. While much of his Spring Collection is attuned to warmer climates & seasons (personally, we can’t wait to don his floral-print bias-seam dress featuring the best of flourescents, vibrant blue and green), you’ll find pieces that can transition from today to the warmer months — take his padded bomber, for instance, or even the white patterned skirt paired with black tights & knit top (who doesn’t like a burst of color on a gray day?). Basic pieces like his bright yellow & green knit sweaters are perfect for cool summer nights in the Hamptons.
Still, we can’t stop pondering the mix-mastered, digitized jungle dancing before us, the exotic hybrid decorating Altuzarra’s blazers, blouses, pants, skirts and dresses, and how much we’d like to see just a piece of it dancing in our closet…even if it is something small, like his palm-print blouse.
Altuzarra Spring Collection arrives on the Third Floor beginning mid-February (212 872 8747) or shop Altuzarra Resort & Spring online.
1. ALTUZARRA Black Patterned Dress, 212 872 8747
2. ALTUZARRA Parachute Dress, 212 872 8747
3. ALTUZARRA Organza Anorak, 212 872 8747
4. ALTUZARRA Palm-Print Blazer, 212 872 8747
5. ALTUZARRA Nylon-Blend Pant, 212 872 8747
6. ALTUZARRA Floral-Print Bias-Seam Dress, 212 872 8747
7. ALTUZARRA Palm-Print Pant, 212 872 8747
8. ALTUZARRA Burgundy Bomber Jacket, 212 872 8747
9. ALTUZARRA Palm-Print Blouse and Nylon-Blend pant, 212 872 8747
10. ALTUZARRA Green Sweater with White Patterned Skirt, 212 872 8747
11. ALTUZARRA White Patterned Dress, 212 872 8747
212 872 8747
Joseph Altuzarra: Next Big Thing
Read his Conversation with Amy Fine Collins
Resort Trend: Flora-Rama
See more on Pinterest!
Reflect the look on 5F:
2. MARC BY MARC JACOBS Santiago Printed Dress, $328. 212 872 2666
3. PIERRE BALMAIN Metallic Leather Baseball Jacket, Striped Blouse & Denim Skirt. 212 872 2843